Chief Master Sgt. Shonta C. Simes is the Senior Enlisted Leader, Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations, Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. AFMAO is a Field Operating Agency under Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force. AFMAO has global responsibility for all Air Force mortuary matters for current and past conflicts, operates the nation's sole port mortuary and provides global contingency mortuary response teams in support of Air Force and combatant command requirements.
Chief Simes advises the commander on all matters affecting the welfare of permanent party Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and civilians working at the mortuary and is charged with ensuring the health and resiliency of the force. Chief Simes also serves as the Career Field Manager for Base Honor Guard Program Managers. She oversees 78 enlisted personnel across 64 Air Force installations and manages all aspects of enlisted manpower resources ensuring proper quantity, training, administration, utilization and employment.
Chief Simes enlisted in the Air Force in June 1998. Her professional background includes various positions within the Services portfolio and Protocol. She has completed tours within Air Combat Command, Pacific Air Forces, Air Mobility Command, United States Air Forces in Europe, Air Force Global Strike Command, Air Education and Training Command and Headquarters Air Force. She has deployed in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Inherent Resolve and Freedom’s Sentinel.
Prior to her current position, Chief Simes served as AFMAO’s Superintendent of the Operations Support Division, where she managed and directed dignified transfer and reverse dignified transfer operations for current and overseas operations. She oversaw a $5.1 million Campus for Families of the Fallen, Command, Control and Communications Center and deployed support in the uniform, dress and restoration and departures sections.
2003 Airman Leadership School, Okinawa Air Base, Japan
2007 Associate of Applied Science degree, Community College of the Air Force, Ala.
2012 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
2014 Joint Senior Noncommissioned Officer, by correspondence
2014 Master Resiliency Instructor Training, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2017 USAF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Joint PME II, by correspondence
2021 Bachelor of Art degree in English, University of Maryland Global Campus, Md.
2023 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
1. October 1999 - December 2000, Front Desk Clerk, 65th Services Squadron, Lajes Field, Azores
2. January 2000 - April 2001, Fitness Specialist, 65th SVS, Lajes Field, Azores
3. April 2001 - March 2003, Front Desk Clerk, 18th Services Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan (September 2001 - March 2002, Recreation Representative, 363rd Expeditionary Services Squadron, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
4. April 2003 - April 2004, Fitness Specialist, 18th SVS, Kadena Air Base, Japan
5. May 2004 - April 2005, Guest Services Supervisor, 375th Services Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill. (October 2004 - January 2005, Recreation Specialist, 407th Expeditionary Services Squadron, Ali Air Base, Iraq) (May 2005 - December 2005, Rations Assistant Manager, 379th ESVS, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
6. January 2006 - December 2006, Food Service Accountant, 375th SVS, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. January 2007 - August 2008, Chief of Plans and Force Management, 375th SVS, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. September 2008 - January 2009, Dining Facility Shift Supervisor, 435th Services Squadron, Kapaun Air Base, Germany
9. February 2009 - September 2009, Food Service Training Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, 435th SVS, Ramstein Air Base, Germany (October 2009 - Jan 2010, Contracting Officer Representative, 332nd ESVS, Joint Base Balad, Iraq)
10. February 2010 - October 2010, Dining Facility Shift Supervisor, 435th SVS, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
11. November 2010 - March 2011, Mortuary Affairs Technician, 786th Force Support Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany (April 2011 - July 2011, Contingency Lodging Representative, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy)
12. August 2011 - April 2012, NCOIC, Protocol, 17th Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
13. May 2012 - July 2012, Command Food Service Manager, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
14. August 2012 - January 2014, NCOIC, Readiness and Mortuary Affairs, 436th Force Support Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
15. January 2014 - April 2016, Dining Facility Manager, 509th Force Support Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo. (May - July 2016, Services Superintendent, 724th Expeditionary Services Flight, Agadez, Niger)
16. August 2016 - July 2017, Section Chief, Fitness and Sports, 509th FSS, Whiteman AFB, Mo. (August 2017 - January 2018, Dining Facility Manager, 386th EFSS Squadron, Ali Al Salem Air Base)
17. February 2018 - June 2018, Superintendent, Marketing and Community Program and Partnership Office, 509th FSS, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
18. July 2018 - December 2018, Superintendent, Sustainment Services Flight, 49th Force Support Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M. (Jan 2019 - September 2019, Superintendent Operations, 379th ESVS, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
19. October 2019 - June 2020, Interim Superintendent, 49th FSS, Holloman AFB, N.M
20. July 2021 - Present, Senior Enlisted Leader, Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations, Dover AFB, Del.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
2017 509th Mission Support Group Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2017 Air Force Global Strike Command FSS SNCO of the Year
2017 A1 Installation Force Support SNCO of the Year
2019 A1 Installation Force Support SNCO of the Year
2021 AFMAO Top Performer of the Year
2022 AFMAO Top Performer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant March 1, 2023
(Current as of November 2023)